Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Udon-Shiitake Stir-Fry with Sake and Ginger


As you can probably tell from my post about Homemade Lo Mein, I love Asian noodle dishes. I love lo mein. I love pad thai. I love rice noodles. I love udon noodles, in all their incarnations, from a soupy bowl full of veggies and broth, to a savory saute with a sauce. So, when I found the recipe for Udon-Shiitake Stir-Fry with Sake and Ginger in Vegan Planet, I knew I had to make it.

I hit noodle gold with this recipe. The sauce is sweet from the shiitake and agave, yet earthy from the mushrooms and sesame oil. The shiitakes are silky and a little meaty while the udon noodles are wonderfully chewy. At the end of each mouthful, the ginger lends a bracing bite.

These noodles were as good as any I can get at an Asian restaurant in my area. And the recipe is so fast to make that it is on the table before take-out could possibly be. I know these noodles will become a regular in my household.

Udon-Shiitake Stir-Fry with Sake and Ginger
adapted from Vegan Planet by Robin Robertson

12 oz udon noodles
2 tsp. sesame oil
3 Tbs. sake
3 Tbs. tamari or other soy sauce
2 Tbs. agave syrup
2 Tbs. vegetable oil
2 shallots, finely chopped
8 oz fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, and caps thinly sliced
1 Tbs peeled and minced fresh ginger

1. Cook the udon noodles according to package directions. Drain and toss with sesame oil. Set aside.

2. In a small bowl, combine the sake, tamari, and agave until well blended. Set aside.

3. Heat the oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add teh shallots, mushrooms, and ginger, and stir-fry until the mushrooms are tender, about 3 minutes.

4. Stir in the sake mixture and udon noodles, and cook, stirring, until heated through, 3 to 5 minutes. Serve hot.

This says it serves 4. In my house, it only served 2. We didn't have any sides or salad, so perhaps that is why.

2 comments:

La Bella Cooks said...

I am more and more attracted to asian flavors lately and would love to give this recipe a go. Love anything with mushrooms too. Thanks for sharing this.

Andrea at Nummy Kitchen said...

This looks so delicious, we love Asian noodle dishes around here too and and I can't wait to give this one a try! Thanks for sharing :)